Most Important Points when Buying Bulk Pistachios; Pistachio is one of the most delicious and of course the most expensive nuts. When buying pistachios in bulk, you should keep in mind the points that we will address in this article.
Most Important Points when Buying Bulk Pistachios
You can buy pistachios in bulk and in packages. However, it is very important to buy from reputable suppliers and exporters of nuts. Before buying the product, you can request a sample from the seller and check the following items in the received sample:
- Pistachio shell color should be high quality, clean and without stains.
- Pistachio kernels should not be moldy.
- High quality pistachios are either completely smiling or one side of it has a completely open slit. Do not buy pistachios with cracks in the body.
- If the number of closed pistachios in a handful of pistachios is high, do not buy it. Closed pistachios are a sign of its immaturity. If the pistachio is ripe, at least one side will crack. In addition, it is difficult to break closed pistachios.
- Pistachios should be uniform in size and appearance.
- The part of the pistachio kernel that is visible should be purple, reddish-gray, or purple and brown, depending on the type. The color of pistachio kernels varies from yellow to light and dark green. The greener the pistachio kernel, the better it tastes.
- Pistachio kernels should be tasty and not have a bitter or unpleasant taste.
- If the pistachio kernel is soft, it indicates that it has been stored in a moist place. Do not buy these pistachios.
- Pistachio kernels should not be too dry and wrinkled.
- Avoid buying colored pistachios. They are usually dyed to remove stains on pistachio skins. If you pay attention, it becomes clear that the color of pistachios is not natural.
An important term in pistachios
If the pistachio is ripe, it will smile. However, sometimes substandard pistachios are so-called smoked. That is, first they put the pistachios in water and then in the oven to make them smile. Because these pistachios are salted and roasted, they give them a good aroma and taste and are sold at a good price. It is a little difficult to distinguish this type of pistachio.
One common method is to hold some pistachios in your clenched fist and shake them. If the pistachio kernels make a lot of noise when they hit their shells, it means they are smiling.
Of course, this method works if starch is not added to the brine solution during the roasting stage of pistachios! Starch causes pistachio kernels to stick to the shell and make no sound. This is the trick of some producers to sell smoked pistachios at high prices.
Another trick vendors use to store pistachios for a long time is to use a pill in a pistachio sack that keeps them healthy for several months. The pistachios are then roasted or seasoned to eliminate the unpleasant odor of the pill. These pistachios are difficult to identify even for sellers of nuts and nuts. This is where the importance of buying from reputable stores comes into play.